in Southern New Hampshire
A service of Souhegan Valley Land Trust
|Useful Links: Home | Contact Us | Site Contents|
An important historic site and natural area all in one.
The township of Monson was one of the earliest inland colonial settlements in New Hampshire, although at that time it was part of Massachusetts. It was chartered on April 4, 1746, and contained about 17,000 acres. Among the first permanent settlers of Monson was the Nevins family, who purchased land in Monson in July of 1737. In 1770, after struggling with how to tax themselves and failing to agree on a location for a center meeting house, residents of Monson relinquished their charter. The land was divided equally between then-Amherst and Hollis.
In 1998 a 28 unit housing development was proposed for the 36 acre portion of the original Monson Center. A “Save Monson Center” campaign was launched, and individuals, civic groups, business groups and volunteers raised money to buy this historically valuable property. With an additional 125 acres donated by Russ and Geri Dickerson, 30 acres donated by an anonymous donor, and 30 additional acres purchased, a total of 221 acres were preserved. It is currently under the stewardship of the SPNHF, and lovingly cared for through Russ and Geri Dickerson’s volunteer efforts.
Hike back in time and view the cellar holes on the sites of some of the early settler’s homes – the Nevins, Gould, Wallingford, Bayley and Brown family homesteads. Monson village also contains a lovely variety of hay fields, stone walls, wooded trails, and a beaver pond. A kitchen herb garden and exhibits of historical photographs and artifacts may be seen in the restored clock shop on the site of the 1856 Gould house.
Point at trails to see routes. Click a trail for details.
Trail DetailsTrail details not available.